Freshney Place Riverhead - Grimsby
A development proposal by Freshney Place Shopping Centre Ltd
The current configuration of the vacant site reflects the remnants of the former bus station arrangement. The potential of the Riverhead and the connectivity to the town centre remains underutilised.
A new development will enable the site to reintegrate with Grimsby whilst creating an attractive and much needed leisure & restaurant destination in the heart of the town.
The following key issues were established as design drivers at the outset:
- Revitalize the Riverhead: Provide a new destination on a key underused site in the town centre which responds to the context, the adjacent River Freshney & Riverhead location
- Local Economy: Build a new £20m Development providing construction jobs and new long term local jobs & additional annual increase into the economy. The uses will encourage dwell times & assist the night time economy.
- Proposed New Uses : Attract nationally recognised brands and anchor tenants to a new state-of the art leisure destination, offering a nine screen cinema and associated restaurants
- Car Park : late night parking will be required and is to be located within an underused area of the existing shopping centre multi storey and provide direct links to the development. New consolidated car park access roads crossing the site from Frederick Ward Way will be provided as part of the development.
- Townscape: The new development will complement the architectural context of Grimsby & provide an attractive, long lasting design within a high quality urban realm which extends the language of the recent streetscape upgrades along Victoria Street and the new bus station.
- Town Centre Context: the design will respond to the location in Grimsby Town Centre, complementing the existing retail offer whilst integrating Council Design Guidelines & National Planning Policies. The proposals will be considerate to the surrounding buildings, uses and approaches.